Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Photography Job For Friends Daughter Birthday

A friend of mine called me a few minutes ago and informed me that she is having a birthday party for her daughter on Saturday January 21, 2012 and she would like me to be the photographer for the event.  I have a Facebook page for my photography and I am always uploading my photos to the Facebook page.  My friend has commented a few times that she really likes my work.  She highlighted this fact again today.

So I decided that now is the time for me to do this project the correct way.   I am going to create an electronic file (maybe keep a ‘hard copy’ as well) with my client’s basic information such as:  name, address, email address, phone number etc.  My friend asked me how much I would charge her and I told her that I would have to think about it and get back to her.  Of course I Googled the topic and wrote this article about it.
The next formal thing is to set up a meeting so the event can be discussed thoroughly with the client.  Information needed is location and time of the event and most importantly, fee.  As the information is being acquired, it should be noted.  It is also a good idea to discuss with the client exactly what is required.  This is an important note especially if the event is a wedding.  Remember that these events cannot be recaptured so it is so important to prepare yourself for any unforeseen circumstances.
The opportunity should be taken to request for permission to use some of the photos for your portfolio.  In my case, my website.
Prior to the event, make a trip to the location and see where everything is located and mentally identify spots where great pictures can be taken. 
The day before the event, check your equipment.  Ensure that the battery for your camera is fully charged.  If you have an extra battery, pack it in your camera bag.  It is always good to have a back-up plan.  My memory card can hold quite a lot of pictures but it also advisable to have a spare one in your camera bag.  Clean your camera lens.  I have a 55-200mm lens, so I will be taking this with me as well.  Presently I am experiencing problems with my night photos so I will also be taking my Pentax point and shoot camera.  It has a feature for night photos, so I plant to take it with me to test how good it is. 
As a matter of fact I will do a test prior to the effect so I know the type of results I am going to get.  At the event is not the time to be doing any testing.
Now your camera bag is all packed and ready so on the day of the event, all you have to do is to grab your bag and go.
After the event the photos will have to be downloaded onto your computer and review and edited.  The ones that are not satisfactory should be deleted or just not given to the client.  Printing the photos are quite expensive so the best solution for both parties involved is to copy the photos on a CD for the client, that they can print the photos of their choice.  In addition to the CD, a contact sheet can be printed and given to the client.  This information has to be relayed to the client.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks soooo much for commenting on my content . I makes me super happy!!!