Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Frangipani Caterpillar


Frangipani Caterpillar:  This is a beautiful caterpillar with its base color of black and yellow strips.  It is difficult to identify the head from the tail until the insect moves.  Here in this photo, the part suspended in mid air is obviously the head.  As I was writing this post, I realized that the legs on that part of the Frangipani caterpillar, are different to the legs on the lower half on its body.  Seems like these legs act as suction on the branches (support) and the legs on the upper are used as the 'hands'.  To be the very back end of the Frangipani looks like a lobster tail, just above that is a piece sticking out like an antennae.

It is only recently that I found out that the name of this caterpillar is Frangipani Caterpillar.  Wow you are never too old to learn - you learn something everyday!  Anyway Frangipani caterpillar are mostly sighted in the early part of the year. They feed on the leaves of the Frangipani trees.  Presently, in the area where I work, there are hardly any leaves on these trees and the Frangipani Caterpillar are very big and fat!  These caterpillars eventually turn into Hawk Moths.

Photos taken with my Nikon D60 DSLR camera

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks soooo much for commenting on my content . I makes me super happy!!!