Friday, October 14, 2011

2011 British Virgin Islands August Festival Parade

British Virgin Islands annual August Festival is held in August 1-3.  These photos were taken  at the parade that was held in East End, Tortola BVI on Wednesday August 3, 2011.  I live a few steps from this location.

Masquerader at East End BVI August Festival parade

This first masquerader caught my attention with her boots.  She also wore a beautiful costume.


It is a tradition that the moko jumbies aka stick walkers partake in the parade each year.  There is a moko jumbie school in the territory that teaches young people to walk on sticks.  This guy is one of the senior stick walkers.  He walked on the longest sticks.
Photos taken with Nikon D60 DSLR Camera

2 comments:

  1. OMG!
    It seems pretty exciting festival . Look all dancers and stick walkers dressed up in warm clothes .I t must be really energetic .reminds me Rio festival .Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is really quite a nice parade, the only thing though, it is too short and many of the performers do not come to the East End are to do their thing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks soooo much for commenting on my content . I makes me super happy!!!